United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres Strongly condemned the recent violence in south-west and north-west regions of Cameroon that let loss of life. Antonio Guterres spoke in a statement published on Tuesday, October 03 on the official website of the institution. He has urged all stakeholders to refrain from any further acts of violence and called on the authorities to investigate the incidents.
On Sunday, separatists used the October 1 anniversary of the official unification of the English- and French-speaking parts of Cameroon to declare independence for “Ambazonia”. Amnesty International said “at least” 17 people had been killed by security forces.
In a statement attributable to his spokesperson, the Mr. Guterres urged “political leaders on both sides to appeal to their followers to refrain from any further acts of violence, and to unequivocally condemn all actions that undermine the peace, stability and unity of the country.”
“[He] takes note of the calls by the authorities for dialogue and encourages representatives of the Anglophone community to seize the opportunity in their quest for solutions to the community’s grievances, within the framework of the Cameroonian constitution,” the statement added.
Leaders of the strike were arrested, but pressure groups have been calling for their immediate and unconditional release. Fifty-five of the 75 protesters were released, and charges against them were dropped.
While separatists are calling for complete independence, Biya has said he is not open to any negotiation on the matter and that Cameroon is one and indivisible.
The Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN), through his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, “invited the Cameroonian authorities to conduct an investigation into the incidents” which took place on 1 October regions of the North-West and South-West. This is the substance of a press release issued for this purpose on October 3, 2017,..