President Jacob Zuma is maintaining that he did nothing wrong, after he was told by the African National Congress to resign or face a motion of no confidence in Parliament on Thursday. Jacob Zuma sees no reason to stand down.
The 75-year-old has come under increasing pressure to resign amid numerous allegations of corruption. But he said the ANC had failed to explain why he had been recalled.
“It was very unfair to me that this issue is raised,” he said. “Nobody has ever provided the reasons. Nobody is saying what I have done.”
Mr Zuma’s decision to cling on to power has put him at odds with South Africa’s deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC’s new leader and his expected successor.
President Zuma told SABC he had offered to go after June, but objected to the way the issue was currently being handled. He said he would make a further statement later on Wednesday.
Pressure on Zuma, who has been wracked by corruption allegations, has mounted over the past few months. He has so far resisted increasing pressure to quit since December, when Cyril Ramaphosa replaced him as leader of the ANC.
South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) formally asked President Jacob Zuma to resign for the sake of the country.
Making the announcement at Luthuli House on Tuesday, ANC secretary general Ace Magashule says the party’s national executive committee (NEC) noted that South Africa was going through a period of uncertainty and anxiety as a result of the unresolved matter of transition.
DON’T FORGET TO
For more Africa Links 24 Updates