Refrigeration is one of the modern conveniences many people cannot imagine living without. You shop, pop items in the fridge and forget about food going bad for at least a day or two. There are some Foods that Should Never Be put in Your Fridge. Fridge storage can diminish the quality of certain products (especially cucumbers, unpeeled onions, Tomatoes, potatoes and Avocado) and may even cause them to go mouldy faster. Below are useful tips to store some fresh foods without losing their quality.
- Store tomatoes on your counter (away from direct sunlight) and eat them / cook with them when ripe
- Potatoes should be stored in a cool, dry place and should outlast most if not all other fresh veggies
- Keep your unpeeled onions in a cool, dark, ventilated space in order to keep the outer layer dry and papery until ready to use
- Store avocados at room temperature until they’re ripe or you can place them in a brown paper bag with to speed up the ripening process
- Keep cucumbers on a counter away from your tomatoes, bananas and melons